Thursday, 20 September 2012

Medieval Scots...oh and Pondering.

After deciding I'm not painting anything for a while which has been made easy having sold off all my unpainted miniatures and projects. I've now got time to ponder rules I prefer for 10mm, my previous post about Scottorum Malleus are part of this pondering. During the pondering, base sizes for units has come up, all of my 10mm armies are now based for Warmaster, over the years they've been base for other systems (mainly Impetus)having them based on 40x20 makes them great for using in other rules so when I decided on 80x40 for Scottorum Malleus it was easy to use WM bases two at the front two at the back as shown in previous post.After more pondering I think the 80x40 way is a great way to base even if using Hail Caesar in which I've previously gone for 120x40 unit sizes in. So with all this in mind I wanted to put a unit together purely based like this to see how it looks. Bugger sold everything off and what army would I choose? Got most of what tickles my fancy (so to speak). Then I found after a good root about two units of Medieval Knights from Pendraken...Great :-) I've got an early Medieval armies and I've got late medieval armies but nothing mid period these will be spot on so I've decided to start a Medieval Scots army from between 1388-1400ish, I also found some Freezywater Scots banners!! For the past few nights I've been busy painting and basing and here is the first unit for the Scots, there will only be one Mounted knight unit and this is it which is good because as you can see hand painting heraldry isn't my forte. The army will have twelve units to start with.1 x Mounted knight,1 x Foot knight,8 x Foot spear,2 x Bow. So here are some photos,give em a click they go bigger:-)on second thoughts they may be better viewed at a distance.

9 comments:

  1. They look great, another period i'm interested in also. Thanks for posting. Keep up the good work.
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dunno what you mean about hand-painting heraldry not being your forte - those look pretty damned good, especially as they are 10mm figs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jason, they look great, the big bases really are the way forward.

    I look forward to seeing more.

    Steve

    (oh, ive tried your email address a few times and it just bounces back to me saying its invalid..I made some lists for SM, for the crusades, and thought you might want to have a look?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, should be getting the rest of the army delivered next week so hopefully get some foot units posted soon.

    TamsinP, Thanks for the comments, I'm happy with them, but if you look at some of the 10mm stuff out there mine look like they've been painted by a three year old :-)

    Steve, yep the Crusade lists would be great I will text my email over see if you can resend.

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, just send me an email - steve.kelly1@hotmail.co.uk

    Then ill reply to it. My English phone is currently AWOL, probably in camp somewhere buried under a load of kit...

    Anyway, what sort of era are these armies for, are we talking Stirling bridge/Falkirk?

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Steve,

    Nice will do. The army is based from about 1388-1400 from the Battle of Ottterburn onwards.Seeing the Claymore Castings 28mm Scots is what really inspired me to be honest.

    Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exceptional...the heraldry is very good.
    Cheers
    paul

    ReplyDelete