Wednesday, 4 May 2011

'O miserable and luckless race!' or whats been on the painting table lately

So not posted for a while, heres some photos of whats been happening on the painting and gaming table. At the moment Grand scale painting and gaming is non existent???(why?), as is only fair I will also play others in their chosen scale of 28mm so with the arrival of the 'Clash of Empires' rules I thought I'd best finish off my latest 28mm project.So here is my Wars of the Roses Lancastrian army,apart from the hobilars,(not finished yet or even bought for that matter)I went for a winter basing because I wanted it to represent the winter 1460/61 Wakefield to Towton campaign.I replaced the weapons on the French troops(from the previous photos)from pikes to DHW type, the French Banner is the later French banner not quite sure what it should be I was thinking of using the banner for de Brézé who fought for the Lancs in 1462 but a bit late and I couldn't find a picture depicting what his standard was.I used Perrys mercenaries pike to represent the Scots spear,using muted paint scheme to make them look a little drab,Again the only info for a banner was the arms for Douglas the 5th earl of Angus but he didn't fight for the Lancs until 1462 also I tried to hand paint his banner (couldn't find one ready made) I found this TOOO difficult so decided to use the Scots nation banner which was used in the middle ages, so will do.Coat of arms on the Crossbowman's Pavise is Margaret of Anjou's.The only other banner painted free hand was Henry VI's which I used as the ASB.The Hobliars will take Clifford's banner when they are done.All other banners are Perrys. Just painted for the wargames table and wanted quick so all painted using Army Painter on some fig's or Devlen Mud wash on others to speed things up.Just the Hobilars and some command bases for CoE to finish them off.(Sorry for the photo quality, give em a click for a bit more detail).Hopefully getting back to painting some 10mm soooon.





5 comments:

  1. That's a very nice looking army Jason. I'm off up to Scotland for Carronade this weekend and there's a chap I know that *might* be able to help with Douglas' coat of arms. He must have used a standard too?

    Anyway, I'll see what I can do.

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason,

    Here you go for Douglas' Standard:

    "Hi Darrell

    Archibald Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus, leader of the Red Douglas family, circa 1448-1513, commonly known as "Bell the Cat".

    Flag/coat of arms:
    White shield on which a red heart at centre; at top of shield a red label with three gold five-pointed stars

    The cavalry standard per illustration G of "The Heart and the Rose", The Battle of Linlithgow 1526, by Jon Cooper (Partizan Press) of his grandson -- Archibald 6th Earl of Angus: (from pole) St Andrew's Cross, A red lion passant with a heart to its front, the motto "Jamais Riere" in gold on a red background.

    Hope that helps
    Regards
    Donald"

    Maybe a little late now but may be of use in future?

    Darrell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Darrell,I got hold of a picture showing the banner design for the 5th Earl but just to much for me to try and paint free hand and no body making them. I will try the version you given me here.

    Thanks again :-)
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason,

    Very nice looking army, top job.

    Steve.

    ReplyDelete